Music Fact Sheet of
Norman F. Rowe
Stephen F. Austin State University ,Nacogdoches, TX 7/75 to 5/78—M.A. in Music incomplete [Thesis: two bass trombone recitals (see programs), both successfully performed]
Ambassador College (later named Ambassador University, school closed in June 1997), Big Sandy, TX 9/72 to 6/75—B.A. 1975, Theology (see diploma)
California State College, Fullerton (now California State University, Fullerton ), Fullerton, CA 9/67 to 6/71—B.A. in Music incomplete
Santa Barbara City College, Santa Barbara, CA 2/64 to 6/67—A.A. in Music incomplete
Music Academy of the West, Montecito, CA Summer Sessions 1963, 1964, 1965
San Marcos High School, Santa Barbara, CA 9/62-6/63—High School Diploma 1963, College Prep (see diploma)
- Davis Shuman (trombone virtuoso, professor of trombone at Juilliard for twenty years): 1963-65
- Maurice Abravanel (conductor, Utah Symphony Orchestra; Music Director, Music Academy of the West: 1963-65
- Roger Bobo (tuba virtuoso, formerly tubaist with Concertgebouw and Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestras): 1966-67
- Jack Chadwick (former trombonist with London Symphony Orchestra, Jack Payne and his orchestra, Lou Prager and Mantovani): 1967
- James Whitsitt (Los Angeles/Hollywood studio trombonist): 1967-68
- Norman Fleming (Los Angeles/Hollywood studio trombonist): 1968-71
- Andrew Charlton (professor, California State College Fullerton; composer and arranger; early music specialist): 1967-71
- Daniel Lewis (conductor, Pasadena Symphony Orchestra; guest conductor, Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra; professor of conducting, University of Southern California): 1967-70
- William T. Young (trombone professor, Stephen F. Austin State University): 1975-78
State of New Mexico: Level One K-12 Substitute Teacher certification #295936 effective 7/1/02 to 6/30/05 (see license)
Santa Fe Public Schools, Santa Fe, NM 12/02 to 5/03 Substitute Teacher: Taught as needed throughout the school district at all grade levels. Included were three weeks as Music teacher at Chaparral Elementary School teaching general music to students in grades K-6 and three and a half months as Director of Bands at Ortiz Middle School (two sixth grade beginning bands, a seventh grade intermediate band, and an eighth grade advanced band).
Private Music Instructor, since April 1965: Provide expert instruction to students of lower brass instruments. Have guided several students to performance levels which have allowed them to receive various honors. Give students a solid foundational understanding to equip them for successful pursuit of careers and/or further development. From 10/95 to 6/97 taught band classes for homeschooled students at Walt's Music Shop in Medford.
Musician, since September 1964: Free-lance performer on tenor and bass trombones, euphonium, oboe, and recorder.
Theatre Memphis, Memphis, TN 8/81 to 9/92: Performed for theater productions on contract basis as trombonist and oboist.
Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, TX 9/76 to 6/77 Graduate Assistant: Provided both classroom and individual instruction to undergraduate university students in Music.
Ambassador College, Big Sandy, TX 9/72 to 6/75 Student employee: Executed various responsibilities in several departments including music, radio studio-A/V, landscaping, and custodial. Included supervision of up to four others.
Imperial Schools, Big Sandy, TX 9/71 to 9/72 Band Director: Led junior high and high school band program and taught classes in Music, English, and Social Studies.
California State College, Fullerton, Fullerton, CA 1/68 to 8/71
Student employee: Worked in two departments simultaneously. In Music Department was responsible for setup for large instrumental ensembles (bands and orchestra) and music distribution and retrieval. In Dean for Relations with Schools office was primary campus tour guide, conducting campus tours by appointment (and walk-in basis on weekends) for prospective students and/or parents and other Public Relations work.
F. E. Olds & Son, Inc., Fullerton, CA 9/67 to 8/71 Tour Guide: Led individuals and groups through the musical instrument manufacturing facilities. In 1977 was contracted to be a bass trombone clinician.
Westmont College, Santa Barbara, CA 9/65 to 6/67 Part-time Instructor: Gave undergraduate instruction on lower brass instruments.
Salvation Army, Santa Barbara, CA 2/66 to 6/67 Instructor: Gave private instruction to youth on band instruments. Also helped supervise youth group.
- Myrtlewood Ensemble; Gold Beach, OR: 6/06 to present (recorders)
- Gold Beach Brass Quartet; Gold Beach, OR: 9/04 to 6/05 (trumpet)
- Kammeroque Ensemble; Port Orford, OR: 4/04 to 7/06 (recorders, oboe, euphonium, trombones, trumpet, composer/arranger)
- Brookings Community Jazz Band; Brookings, OR: 12/03 to 6/05 (bass and tenor trombones)
- Curry/Del Norte Chamber Orchestra; Smith River, CA: 10/03 to present (principal oboe); 2007-present, member, Board of Directors, 2009-present, President of the Board
- Bones Northwest; Gold Beach, OR: 10/03 to 6/05 (tenor and bass trombones)
- Santa Fe Great Big Jazz Band; Santa Fe, NM: 10/02 to 5/03 (trombone)
- Santa Fe Concert Band; Santa Fe, NM: 10/02 to 5/03 (oboe, French horn), percussion), trombone)
- Monterey Community Band; Monterey, CA: 4/00 to 4/02 (tuba, oboe, percussion)
- South Valley Symphony; Gilroy, CA: 3/00 to 4/02 (principal trombone)
- Watsonville Band; Watsonville, CA: 1/00 to 4/02 (euphonium, French horn, bass trombone, percussion, tuba)
- San Lorenzo Valley Community Band; Felton, CA: 1/00 to 5/02 (euphonium, bass trombone, French horn, percussion)
- Pacific Brass Band; Watsonville, CA: 1/00 to 4/02 (euphonium, percussion, Eb tenor horn, BBb tuba)
- Santa Cruz City Band; Santa Cruz, CA: 12/99 to 5/01 (trumpet, percussion, euphonium)
- Rogue Valley Recorder Consort, Medford, OR: 6/96 to present (sopranino through great bass recorders)
- State of Jefferson Community Band, Yreka, CA: 9/95 to 7/99 (9/95 to 9/97 1st oboe, 9/97 to 7/99 tuba)
- Ashland City Band, Ashland, OR: 6/95 to present (euphonium, stage/equipment manager, webmaster)
- Swing Kings, Ashland, OR: 5/95 to 8/99 (bass trombone)
- Rogue Valley Brass Choir, Ashland, OR: 3/95 to 8/97 (euphonium, drum set), 8/97 to 8/99 (director)
- Southern Oregon University Symphonic Band, Ashland, OR: 1/95 to 9/98 (principal euphonium), 9/98 to 6/99 (bass trombone)
- Rogue Valley Wind Ensemble, Central Point, OR: 1/95 to 6/99 (principal euphonium)
- Southern Oregon Concert Band (formerly Southern Oregon Symphonic Band); Ashland, OR: 1/95 to 6/99 (oboe, euphonium, baritone saxophone, tympani, snare drum)
- Memphis Junior Academy; Memphis, TN: 9/91 to 5/92, directed upper grade bell choirs
- Theatre Memphis; Memphis, TN: 8/81 to 10/92, 11 productions (bass and tenor trombones, oboe)
- Playhouse On The Square; Memphis, TN: 1989 1 production (tenor trombone)
- East Side Recorder Ensemble, Memphis, TN: 1989-91 (all recorders)
- Southern Slides (trombone ensemble); Memphis TN: 1983-89 (bass trombone)
- River City Community Band (now River City Concert Band); Memphis, TN: 12/83 to 11/94 (tenor and bass trombones 12/83 to 6/86, 1st oboe 6/86 to 8/91 and 1/94 to 11/94, euphonium 8/91 to 8/93, percussion 8/93 to 12/93). Returned by invitation to participate in a concert trip to London, England, in 12/95 playing 1st trombone. Featured twice as trombone soloist, once on bass trombone, once on tenor trombone.
- Memphis Civic Orchestra; Memphis, TN: 1987-90 (principal oboe)
- Early Wind Band; Memphis, TN: 1981-87 (sSATB recorders, SATB krummhorns, tenor and bass dulcians, alto shawm)
- Germantown Community Theater; Germantown, TN: 1980 1 production (tenor trombone)
- East Texas Symphony Orchestra; Tyler, TX: 2½ seasons 1972-75 (first and bass trombone)
- Garner Ted Armstrong Personal Appearance Tours: 1972-75 (bass trombone)
- The Tudormen (stage band); Norwalk, CA: 1970-71 (bass trombone)
- Reffitt Trombone Ensemble; Anaheim, CA: 1970-71 (bass trombone)
- Santa Barbara Symphony Orchestra: 1964-67 (tuba)
- Santa Barbara Brass Choir: 1964-67 (tuba, bass trombone)
- Santa Barbara American Legion Band: 1964-67 (tuba, bass trombone)
- Santa Barbara Salvation Army Band: 1965-67 (1st cornet)
- Santa Barbara Municipal Band: 1967-68 (bass trombone)
- Goleta Boys Club Drum Corps: 1965-67 (director)
- Santa Barbara Symphony Youth Orchestra: 1964-1965 trombone
- Columbus Symphony Youth Orchestra: 1961-62 tuba
- Also several school bands, orchestras, brass ensembles, early music consorts, etc. Featured soloist on tuba in high school ("Rocked in the Cradle of the Deep" - 1963), also while in college as guest soloist with Goleta Valley Junior High School Band (played "Bugler's Holiday" by Leroy Anderson as tuba solo - 1966). Featured euphonium soloist with Monterey Peninsula College Band in 2003 ("From the Shores of the Mighty Pacific" by Herbert L. Clarke).
- Germantown Community Chorus; Germantown, TN: 5/91 to 11/94, chorus member, occasional soloist
- Memphis Junior Academy; Memphis, TN: 9/91 to 5/92, chorus director
- Memphis Symphony Chorus, Memphis, TN 3/88 to 6/88 chorus member (tenor)
- S.P.E.B.S.Q.S.A.; Fullerton, CA; Nacogdoches, TX; Memphis, TN: chorus Assistant Director at all chapters, chorus Director at Nacogdoches (see Nacogdoches certificate)
- St. Paul Lutheran Church; Norwalk, CA: adult choir director 3 years (1967-70)
- First Congregational Church; Santa Barbara, CA: adult choir member 5 years, youth choir director 1 year, occasional soloist
- Also numerous church choirs and school choruses, madrigal ensembles, barbershop quartets, solo work (tenor). Featured soloist with high school and college choruses, including college productions of Bruckner's "Te Deum" (tenor soloist), Weill's "Down In the Valley" (Sheriff), "H.M.S. Pinafore" (Dick Deadeye), and "Pirates of Penzance" (Frederic)
- Music Educators National Conference: Life Membership granted in 1965 (see certificate)
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (see certificate)
- All-County Chorus; Franklin County, OH: 1960-62 (baritone, twice selected as best in section)
- All-County Band; Franklin County, OH: 1961-62 (tuba)
- All-Ohio High School Festival Chorus: 1962 (baritone)
- All-California High School Symphony Orchestra: 1963 (first chair tuba; performed in 1965 by special invitation with percussion section)
- Three full-tuition scholarships to the Music Academy of the West
- Two scholarships awarded at Santa Barbara City College